Apple Valley Natural Soap loves using vanilla in products like our Sweet Vanilla Body Polish or Vanilla Bean Lip Balm to give them a warm, dreamy scent, but did you know that vanilla has multiple beauty benefits for your skin? Vanilla is full of skin-protecting, skin-perfecting antioxidants and may help reduce fine lines and help clear up acne! Vanilla is the perfect spa-inspo for the fall season, so enjoy these three vanilla related projects that are fun to make and enjoy!
DIY VANILLA EXTRACT RECIPIE
Once you’ve tried homemade vanilla extract you won’t go back! This delicious vanilla extract tastes great in baked goods and saves you money!
Ingredients for DIY Vanilla Extract
Vanilla Extract Ingredients (makes 12 (4oz) jars):
- 18-20 vanilla beans
- 48 oz plain vodka* 80 proof works great
Tools you’ll need for Homemade Vanilla Extract:
- Small funnel or measuring cup with pouring lip
- 12 4oz clear bottles with lids (avoid cork lids)
- Labels click here to save and print the labels
- Kitchen scissors or sharp knife
- Wash and sanitize bottles and lids: Wash with mild soapy water, rinse, then carefully swirl with boiling hot water to sanitize them.
- Cut beans in half then Split beans (it’s easiest with kitchen scissors), cutting them about halfway down the stem. If the beans are too dry to split, cut them into 1″ pieces. Place a total of 1 1/2 whole beans in each jar (or 3 split halves).
- Use a funnel to pour vodka to the top of jar. Cover tightly with lid and let them brew for 2 months, shaking occasionally.
DIY VANILLA BATH SALTS
There is nothing like filling your tub with vanilla! These naturally scented vanilla bath salts are here for you and your “me time”!
Ingredients for DIY Vanilla Bath Salts
Vanilla Bath Salt Ingredients
- 1 cup Epsom Salts
- 1 tbsp Baking Soda
- 5+ drops Vanilla Essential Oil
- Food coloring to tint salts (optional)
- Add the epsom salts and baking soda to a small bowl.
- Top with 5 drops of vanilla essential oil (or more if desired) and stir until salt, baking soda and oils are combined.
- Add food coloring if desired to tint the salts; this may be preferred if you are gifting but is not necessary if you’re creating for your own bath.
At this point, if you’re using at home, transfer the salts to a jar and seal to keep fresh until use. You’ll want to use about a half cup of salts for a full bath. If you’re looking to gift these DIY Vanilla Bath Salts, you might want to add a little brown food coloring like I did here to give the salts a little color.
DIY VANILLA LATTE FACIAL MASK
Ingredients For DIY Cinnamon Vanilla Latte Face Mask
- 1 cup of Milk (whichever you like)
- 2-3 Cinnamon Sticks or 1-2 teaspoons of Cinnamon Powder
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract or 1 Vanilla Bean
- 1 Tablespoon of Cornstarch
The first thing you want to do is heat up your milk, and keep going until it reaches a simmering point.
Once it’s there, add the cinnamon sticks or powder and the vanilla bean or extract; if you decided to go for the sticks and beans, it would be great to let them infuse for a bit and then take them out.
As soon as the milk is boiling and the ingredients are perfectly infused into it, it’s time to take about 3 tablespoons out of it and mix them with cornstarch.
Apple Valley Natural Soap Vanilla Products
If you still haven’t had enough vanilla you can always top off your spa day with a sudsy lather of our gentle and uber-moisturizing Cocoa Butter and Vanilla Bean Face and Body Bar!